I can’t believe it’s already time to talk about the books I liked the most over the year of 2019! I will admit I didn’t have a lot of 5 stars but then I am really stingy with them…lol. So most of these were 4 star reads that I really enjoyed too. I will start with those that actually came out in 2019 then talk about some favorites that were from my backlist.
1) A Dangerous Collaboration by Deanna Raybourn – Hands down one of my all time favorite series and this is book #4. If you love historical mysteries and you haven’t tried this series yet, then what are you doing? Go right now and get book one! Yes, these are best read in order. Stoker and Veronica are two of my very favorite people and the batter between them is great. Though I will admit to wanting to smack both of them in this book but the ending made it all worth it and now I can’t wait to buddy read the next book with Barb!
2) Death in Kew Garden by Jennifer Ashley – Another favorite historical mystery series probably right next to the above series! This is book #3 and I do hope there are more! I haven’t found any info on one for next year but there is still plenty of time. This one features Kat Holloway a cook for an aristocratic family who is good at solving murders and also features two of my very favorite people! I just love Kat and Daniel (and I must find out what he really does for a living!)
3) Molded 4 Life by J. C. Eaton – If you follow my blog you will have seen the reviews for this writing duo’s other series that I wasn’t a huge fan of but it was okay. This is why I was disappointed because this series is one of my absolute favorite cozy mystery series. I just pretty much love all the characters in this series and it’s laugh out loud funny at times. This one is book #5 and I can’t wait for Dressed Up 4 Murder to come out in next year!
4) Fatal Cajun Festival by Ellen Byron – Another of my favorite cozy series! I love the Cajun atmosphere and the characters. They always seem to have some sort of event or festival going on and it’s always fun. It also has one of my favorite dogs in it, Gopher! This is book #5 and I can’t wait to find out when another one is coming out as one isn’t scheduled yet.
5) Puppy Love by Lucy Gilmore – I didn’t read much romance this year and I don’t usually read contemporaries but this series involves dogs and so I couldn’t help myself. I am glad I gave it a try because it was so cute and just look at that cover! I need to read the next one in the series this month if I can fit it in.
6) Slash by Hunter Shea – This author is one of my favorite horror authors and though I haven’t always loved all his books I really enjoyed this one. Although the one person I wanted to die didn’t I won’t hold it against him…lol. I liked his take on a slasher book. I have seen tweets about his newest one he is working on and I can’t wait!
7) Mysterious Affair of Styles by Agatha Christie – I don’t know why it took me so long to try this author especially since I love mysteries so much! I loved it and can’t wait to continue reading her books next year. I honestly wasn’t sure if I would like Poirot as he always seems a bit silly on TV, but I liked him. Bring on more Christie! 🙂
8) Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness – (technically I loved the who trilogy) I read this one back when it first came out and enjoyed it, but I really liked it more this go around and liked going through the whole trilogy as I feel very accomplished in doing so. 🙂
9) Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews – (The whole series is really great but can only pick one…lol) – I think I liked this one the most because I really enjoyed learning more about Christopher and the pretty epic fight at the end. Also this one has my favorite cover! I really want to try another series from this author dou.
10) The Brutal Telling – I have read books 2-6 this year and #5 has to be my favorite one so far though I really liked #6 as well. I liked this one because of the dilemma CI Gamache has as the prime suspect is someone he really likes as a friend. Torn between doing a good job and hoping his friend didn’t do it.
11) Death in the Stacks and Hitting the Books by Jenn Mckinlay – (Although #10 had a creepy stalker can’t say it was a favorite) I did love both #8 and #9 in the Library Lovers series and wanted to mention them. This quickly became a favorite series last year when I almost binged the whole series, but I managed to catch up on it this year with these last three. Has one of my favorite cozy mystery couples in it and can’t’ wait to get another one from this series soon!