So I usually do something sort of like this on my booktube channel and thought I might as well do it here too. Since we are mid year now I thought I would talk about some of my favorites or not so favorites of the year so far.
I have read a total of 101 books as of right now and so picking favorites was really hard…lol. Most of the books I have read have been series reads and I have only read 14 stand alones!
Most read genre – Mystery/thriller/Crime – Did we think it would be any different…lol. Followed by Middle Grade books, yeah it’s been a MG kind of year. 🙂
Favorite books so far this year
- Ten Days Gone – This was the first in the A. L. McKittridge series and I really enjoyed it. It’s about a killer who is taking a woman every ten days and there are already I believe 4 women dead and they are racing against time to find out who it is before the next woman dies. It was just a very fast read for me helped me when I was headed into a slump.
- And Then There None – I have really been enjoying Agatha Christie and was really impressed with this closed circle mystery because sometimes they don’t work for me but the ending of this book is what really sealed it as a favorite! Group of people get invited to an island and none of them know the others but find out they are there for a reason and it’s not good.
Best sequels so far this year
- The Janes – The only true sequel since it’s is actually book two of the Alex Vega series. 🙂 I really loved Two Girls Down last year so it was no surprise that I enjoyed the second one. I love Alex Vega she is really cool. This one takes her and her partner Mac all over as they try to figure out who the two dead girls are and what happened, especially when some don’t want them to figure it out.
- The Future King – This is book three of the Revenge of Magic series and it was very fast paced and I enjoyed it a lot. About a Fort and his friends dealing with magic in the real world and some bad creatures and can’t say much or spoilers. Can’t wait for the next one!
- A Murderous Relation – So as long as this series is going I am sure there will always be one of them on my list! Love the Veronica Speedwell series and this is book five and just as good as the others. Speedwell and Stoker must figure out if the prince is a killer or not! Set during the time of Jack the Ripper.
Biggest Disappointment so far this year
- The Stand – I am counting this since I finished it this year even though it was started last year…lol. I remember really liking this as a teen but OMG it was so boring!
- The Only Good Indians – You will see what I think about this book on Thursday. Let’s just say I think I am figuring out I am not a character driven reader and this thing was sooooo boring! I almost DNFed it but then I needed to see why Barb liked it and well still don’t know why…lol. 🙂
- Killer Characters – I have never hated how a cozy series has ended before but this was horrible and so not cozy. I love this author and this is the first time I have been disappointed by her.
Biggest Surprise of the year so far
- Christine – Who would have thought I would love a book about an evil car but I really enjoyed this one! I kind of thought I would think it was meh but it wasn’t! 🙂
New Releases I have yet to read but want too
I went with books that I actually don’t have as review books. 🙂
- Blood Countess – I am curious about this one as it’s about Countess Elizabeth Báthory. This is who the Countess Dracula is based on so I am curious about what this Young Adult read does with the story.
- A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder – Heard a lot of great this about this one and so I must read it…lol. Did you doubt there would be a mystery on here. 😉
- The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires – Wow, super long title…lol. I am just really curious about this vampire book and haven’t read this author yet but need too!
Most anticipated reads for the second half
- Deal with the Devil – Mercenary Librarians need I say more! 🙂
- No One Saw – Since I really enjoyed Ten Girls Gone, I of course must read the second book in the series.
- Murder in the Bayou Boneyard – One of my favorite series with one of my favorite dogs, Gopher!
Favorite New Author (Debut or new to me)
- Kendra Elliot – I really liked The Last Sister and would like to try more from her.
- Beverly Long – As you already know I liked Ten Days Gone and want to read the second book in the A.L. Kittridge series.
New Favorite Character
Had a hard time with this one so kind of went with the cutest new character…lol
- Bernadette – She is the small mouse MC in this book and super cute and spunky! 🙂
Book that made me happy
- The Duchess Deal – This romance just made me laugh out loud and so it made me happy. 🙂
Books I need to read by the end of the year
I think that would be any book on my TBR…lol.
and many more! 🙂
So what have been some of your favorites or not so favorites? 🙂